Thursday 17 March 2011

Joe & Back

Okay, okay - I know I can't make my mind up!

I have had a few days off work this week and the rest seems to be helping, a throat infection kind of knocked me for six and I now have some treatment for that and all is mending well. So this morning I decided to try a run, promising myself that even if I felt okay I was strictly only gonna do a three miler.

It seems to me that it is important for me to simply be able to complete a run at the moment without having any major problems with my breathing.

Big Sis has persuaded me that I should go to Lincoln for the weekend of the 10k - she is quite right too, Reece is in the kids run, and she is doing the buggy push with Poppy. Anyway, if I am going to be there I need to decide whether I am going to take part in the 10k or just spectate. This was the tester.



Took this run at a very very steady pace with a close eye on my heart rate. Of course hills are the problem, running uphill is really a challenge for me, and the bit of an incline towards the end of the route pushed by heart rate up to 184 and I was forced to stop momentarily to bring it back down. My own fault, I saw it increasing and didn't react to it thinking I could battle it out. I can't at the moment.

So I think as long as I take it steady and don't let my HR go above 180 I will probably be okay for Lincoln - it's supposedly a flat course. Well, I will find out!!

It will be great for me if I can manage it as this is the first of the runs I had planned for 2011. There is a second 10k two weeks later in Langdale which I will think about after Lincoln. and then I have nothing until mid June.

So I am planning to use a lot more cross training in my preparations for the half marathons I have planned, this keeps me on track on days when I can't go out cos of weather or just when my breathing is poor.

“I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.”- Jimmy Dean

Just been sussing out the route for the 10k, and it does look pretty harmless. Lots of long straight roads, so hope there's lots to distract me!! Mapmyrun used to be so useless, but it is actually pretty good these days...


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Race Schedule

Distance Widget