Monday 21 March 2011

Morebsy Parks Loop

Decided to try a run today.

The only way to find out what works for me with running is to try stuff out, but it is difficult to control such experiments as there are simply so many variables. Something may work one day but not another and it is hard to identify what the differences are and even harder to control them as they are mainly 'external factors'.

Anyway, an increase in heart rate makes it more likely for me to have an issue so for the sake of getting some training into my legs, this must be avoided. I set the cut off at 175bpm and promised to stick to it absolutely.

Second, experimentally, I have read of many runners who swear by using a buff over their mouth until they have fully warmed up. This, theoretically, keeps the air you breathe in both warm and moist and reduces the risk of a flare up. Not quite sure why you only need to use it until warmed up, but I decided to give it a try. I'm sure I looked a bit of a knob, but quite frankly I couldn't care less if it works!

I employed the normal procedure of two puffs of Salbutamol before the run, and set off feeling like a cowboy with my bright red buff over my nose and mouth. It seemed to help though, and I kept it on until I felt it was starting to restrict my breathing somewhat, this was after about 8 minutes so I would be fairly warmed up by then, although I normally start to experience problems (if I am going to) around 15 minutes in.



The next issue was heart-rate. As I started up the the hill towards School Brow I was able to keep it down by slowing off but as the hill steepened there was nothing for it but to walk. No problem - I am still breathing fine, and I am still getting round. Used the buff again on the downhill stretch just as I felt the air colder on this side of the hill, but then pulled it off again along the straight through the village.

Once again, walking up the hill when my heartrate tipped 174, and picking up the running again when it had dropped back down.

So, a run/walk then, but I got round with no ill-effects and still felt fine afterwards too, apart from a slight feeling of tightening. Stats show that my lung function is good post run, and it's a while since that occurred!

So, the buff is in the kit bag for the time being at least. I am really not sure how I am going to get on in Lincoln with this 10k, but I am heartened by the fact that it is flat, so I hope to be able to run all the way round. My legs are feeling the lack of running so I really do need to do some cross-training to keep them moving, and I think the bike ride yesterday helped. I was a bit congested after that, but it went off relatively quickly.

All things considered, I am happy with this mornings effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Race Schedule

Distance Widget