Thursday 24 February 2011

Eight miler

After the long run on Saturday it took a full 24 hours for my breathing to recover, although otherwise I felt great - particularly in my spirit!! The knock on from that was that I was concerned at how I would be after my next run and with having to consider work as well I became a little wary of running in the week. On top of this I was very very tired too and in the event I had lots and lots of sleep instead!

It's pretty unusual for me to lie in but I did so on both of my late shifts this week, so this morning, my third and final late shift of the week, I decided to go for the 8 miler and test the water. I felt fine and my lungs felt fully functional, the steroids have had two full weeks to kick in, so this is the moment of truth.



The only problem I had on the whole run was with tightness in my calves, I guess due to the lack of running over the past fortnight really, so I stopped a few times to do some quality stretches in the hope that would help for a longer run this weekend. I had taken some Ventolin prior to the run as a preventative measure but I never even thought about using it during the run or afterwards. I think that's a first, so I am very pleased.

Also I was able to allow my HR to increase a little so that at times (the uphill bits) I was breathing quite hard, but I still had no problems whatsoever.

Verrrrrry pleased. If this keeps up then I may yet be able to climb back into my training schedule. We shall see how I get on with a long run this weekend, I am a bit worried at having missed some of the shorter runs, but I'll try to tackle it with the same frame of mind as last weekends 16 and see how I get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Race Schedule

Distance Widget