Wednesday 22 September 2010

Runners Toe

When I arrived home on Sunday from the Great North Run, I remember examining my toe very closely as it was throbbing like mad. It felt sore through the Monday and then yesterday when I was out walking with Jasper it gave me so much jip that I was almost limping.

Closer examination and much poking, prodding and manoeuvering of joints has led me to the conclusion that I have a case of Runners Toe. The nail is not black, but is definitely discoloured. Maybe not bad enough for the nail to part company, but I dunno. My main worry is that it is really painful, even just lying in bed seemed to make it hurt.

So this morning I have switched running shoes, the ones I used on Sunday were on their last legs anyway - so much so that I dithered over wearing em - and although these feel okay when I am not moving around, any pressure on the toe from above or below is very painful. Anyway I am gonna try to do another 3 miler, much like yesterday, and I will see how it feels. I don't think running on it is going to make it worse, just that it may be too painful. We shall see.


In fact, the toe was okay. I was aware of it, but it wasn't really a problem. Felt it more on the uphill bits, but that's not surprising I guess. Once again found it hard to keep the HR down, running in to the wind and uphill it's bound to be tricky. Also my legs are still feeling Newcastle a bit, so I imagine that has an effect too.

Quick three mile walk with Jasper to follow and the toe really protested at that. Obviously walking is more of a problem than running, ah well tomorrow is a non-running day, although I have the sit-ups to do, so maybe the rest will do it some good.

1 comment:

  1. This blog has given me an opportunity to see more closely your running and access your Garmin files. Lately it seems that 3 miles is fast becoming a staple distance?

    Joe Friel (Google is your friend) coaches a lot about the benefits of periodisation, basically fooling the body into not knowing what is coming next and to effectively prepare for the worst! - Mix it up in terms of intensity and distance, much better results will be evident and quicker too - apparently ;)

    ReplyDelete

My Race Schedule

Distance Widget