Saturday 25 September 2010

Week 1 - Long Run

I had hoped to find a route from the door for today's run, but strangely I couldn't find my local map anywhere, so before despondency set in and I ended up doing a poxy 4 miler, I jumped in the car and headed for the cycle path. It's good for running, and fairly even ground so makes a good spot for a little bit longer distance.



Felt a little weary at 4 miles, but I think it's slightly uphill all the way - must be right as the 4 miles back again were definitely easier! A few aches and pains, nothing to write home about, but strangely I noticed that I seemed to be leaning to the right somewhat as I was running. Not sure why that is, but I tried to make sure I corrected that as it is bound to lead to trouble.

Slight achiness in the right heel may be is to blame, again, this is something I need to keep an eye on. I suspect that may have been down to wringing a few miles too many out of that last pair of trainers. Serves me right, I know better than that.

Anyway, not a bad run. Still rubbish at keeping the HR down, but I will get better once I have got the Cumbrian Run behind me (10th Oct). Next week's long run on Saturday will be the 15km Coniston Challenge. Now that really does involve hills!

So the week went all as planned, and I even managed to lose a little weight in the process. I have drawn up a base-training plan which will take me to mid December, but this will start after the 10th October, as I have the two races to deal with first. By then I shall have decided what my main goals for next year will be. Is it going to be too soon to have a first stab at a marathon? We shall see....

2 comments:

  1. If you can run a Half Marathon and you have a history of reasonable physical activity, are in average health without congenital health conditions you can run a marathon.

    I'll wager that for you it is more of a mental battle than a physical one provided you follow a sensible an appropriate training program.

    Believe you can and you will - simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol - you are, as usual, quite right MUN. I am a firm believer in the power of positive thought and it is, in truth, my intention to have my first stab at the 26.2 next year. Probably Edinburgh. I am in excellent health, thankfully, and the training plan has already been devised.

    ReplyDelete

My Race Schedule

Distance Widget