Saturday 12 February 2011

Dog Tired!

Okay, so here's the story...

I visited the doctor yesterday regarding the asthma thingy and he has decided that I need to also take a steroid inhaler as a preventative - this was because I have been waking up with breathing difficulties and the issue seems to be occuring irrespective of whether I run or not, which is not how it seemed before.

Because he is concerned that my symptoms are worsening he has insisted that I must not run until he has had the opportunity to consult with his colleagues over the best course of action. Despite my pleas he would absolutely not budge on this, and has told me that I should consider that the marathon may not be a possibility for me.

Uh huh.

Unfortunately it is the weekend and I am due a long run...

So I woke up this morning feeling okay and thought, knickers to it, I'm gonna give it a try and if I get into trouble I will walk. Hmmph. So I got my kit out and made a pre-run coffee....and then I realised that the doc was right. I really don't want to get into the sort of difficulties I was having last week and the steroid inhaler will not take effect immediately, so I am in danger of being in the middle of nowhere having an asthma attack which the Ventolin won't clear and okay, so I have a phone but I can't bloody speak!!!!!

Change of plan. Jasper....'Get your lead'



The poor dog enjoyed the long walk up til about mile 11 and then he asked for food and I knew he was out of energy. Bless him, but he knows me well enough to know I would have supplies with me, so I fed him up a little and we continued.

It's harder walking this sort of distance than it is running it - my feet are killing me, and I couldn't wait to sit down as soon as I came in the door!! I know you can't train to run a marathon by walking, but in my mind it allows me to keep the faith and that's all I can ask at the moment.



I did take this opportunity to try out the Camelbak which I have acquired for my long runs (!) and I was quite pleased with it. Very comfortable, no wobble or slosh and the mouthpiece doesn't dribble at all, even though my own may do from time to time. Very impressed. I have used a hydration back pack before but it was a cheaper version - this one is the real thing and I was very impressed with it. It also had room for Jaspers bits and pieces including his water bottle. I tried out the High 5 zero tabs that MuN recommended and found that to be very refreshing, although I do think I should have taken food with me on this venture as I started to feel a little light headed in the last two miles.

On the review note, a quick mention about the 305 now that I have used it a few times. A few people have criticised the way it 'moves round' on your wrist so you can't see the face easily... I used to thave that problem with the 405 as well, and I think to be fair it's just to do with gravity really. If anything the bulk of the 305 lessens this issue, but I would agree that the thing is uncomfortable to wear. If you wear the strap tight enough to stop it slipping round it feels like you are in handcuffs, well cuff then, but it really isn't anything particularly worth writing home about. I am still pleased with it, although I still wish they did them in something other than red....

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Race Schedule

Distance Widget