Friday 18 February 2011

Sweet Sixteen

Okay, so the doc told me I am not to run, but he also gave me some new medication to help me. Now I know the steroids take time to build up and have an effect, and I rather stupidly thought that I could try a little run on Wednesday morning. It was a disaster and left me feeling that I had absolutely no chance of being able to make the marathon in May. I think I still feel that really.

I was a little subdued.

But then I woke up this morning and I felt fine and strong and the sun was shining and, and, and oh well - you get the picture.

With it firmly in my head that the long runs are the most important I decided to go for it and see how I got on.

As I chugged out the first mile I can't tell you how great I felt. Of course, my legs were fresh from not running in the week, but just everything felt really great. I promised myself I would try to keep my heart rate at a sensible level and to walk if necesssary, take ventolin if necessary, but get round if I felt I could.


So I did walk bits now and then and I stopped once or twice to regroup, take a couple of puffs, or to take a layer off when the sun got really strong... but I made it and I feel bloody marvellous. I am still struggling with my breathing a bit and I am wheezing quite a bit while I am typing this, but it's manageable and I am hoping that the steroids will continue to build up an it will get easier.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see how it goes, but I'm not totally discounting Edinburgh for another week. At least its flatter than this...


1 comment:

My Race Schedule

Distance Widget