Tuesday 7 December 2010

Hensingham 'Easy' Loop

Last night I was pretty despondent knowing there was absolutely zero chance of getting a run either then or this morning. The ice was so widespread and thick that you could barely stand up in it. Even Jasper didn't want to 'walk' far in it, oh yes, it was THAT bad.

And then it snowed....

This morning we have about 6-8 inches of snow - which means I can run. Well, after a fashion anyway. Pulled on the NB's and off I went. It seemed wise to avoid running in the road, for one thing you can't tell where the road actually is, and for another, there was a serious risk of a car sliding into you, so I elected to nip round Hensingham and back along the loop road, as there is footpath all the way. All you have to do is figure out where it is!



It was a short distance overall, but hard going all the way. The snow did become less deep as I dropped down into Hensingham, but it was still challenging, and the Sellafield traffic stacking up on the Loop Road left me so full of fumes that I felt like I had smoked 20 fags halfway round! I do feel sorry for people who run in cities all the time - I'm very lucky to live where I do.

Anyway, all things considered I was really pleased to be able to get out - can't get the proper runs in, but in these conditions, anything is good. I am supposed to be doing a 10k on Saturday in Langdale, but at the mo they are considering cancelling. It will be a shame, but it's a tricky spot to get to in ice and snow. We shall see.

Now to defrost the toes...

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Race Schedule

Distance Widget