Friday 31 December 2010

New Years Eve

I have not made any attempts at running since Christmas Day, in an effort to clear up the nightmare that is my respiratory system. I can only take heart from the fact that 99% of the population seems to be suffering with similar stuff this Christmas. I am grateful that my normal good health is keeping me going, but it is getting me down.

Today I decided to go for a four mile round the block job, and resigned myself to - if I have to have a walk break I will - but it was worse than I thought. Much worse.

As soon as I got onto a slight incline and my legs wanted a little more oxygen, my lungs responded by seizing up and after a stop-start effort I eventually ended up sat by the roadside at good ol' Joe McBain Avenue wondering how I go about volunteering to be a helper at the Edinburgh Marathon.


I managed to get back home - it's downhill - but that was a wee while ago now and my breathing sounds absolutely dreadful. I dare not go near a vet - they will put me down, for sure.

In all seriousness, I am gutted. I have lost so much running in the last four or more weeks that I really don't think there is any way I can manage the marathon. I am too behind with my training now. I maybe will swap to the half marathon, but for now, I think I only managed a mile today before I pulled up.

Apart from the lung malfunction, everything is fine, legs etc all working well, so I will stick to a bit of indoor bike and maybe some circuits until I am better. (Although it is traditional to run on New Years Day, so look out for a miler!)

Trying to keep my spirits up and be thankful for the good stuff, and with that in mind, Saffers can have this run. I'll get one another time, when I am all better.

2 comments:

  1. the marathon is 5 months away - stop feeling sorry for yourself, get your act together and train for it. Some people know they can and some people know they can't.... all of them are right, which group are you in?

    Good luck, now prove yourself wrong, ha ha!

    Happy New Year :D

    ReplyDelete

My Race Schedule

Distance Widget