Sunday 5 December 2010

Ice Age 4

It's not been a good week for running. Wow, what an understatement! We had snow already but more and more came over the course of the week and although it was possible to run in it (after a fashion) I found that the doubling of my travelling time to and from work left me exhausted and there was no way a run was gonna happen.

I am amazed at how crotchety I became as the week wore on, tiredness, cold and the need to stretch my legs have all made me totally unbearable to be around.

Yesterday, despite being determined to get in a run of ANY distance, it did not come to pass - we became totally iced in and it was absolutely treacherous outdoors. I took Jasper out and it was like the famous scene from Bambi where he is on the ice. We did not go far.

And so to today. My working week starts on a Sunday, but not this week. Apart from the fact that I was iced in (is there such a term), when I did feel brave and went out to the car, I found the battery had given it's last.

Thankfully, men are all born with the ability to bump start any vehicle, so I borrowed the neighbours fella for this task and then shelled out for the very nice guys at Kwik Fit to bung a new one in. Blast, more expense. Hey ho, gotta have it.

So, tonight I decided to go for it. And I am so pleased I made it round the block in one piece. Slipped once, tripped once on a frozen former snowball, and dived in the ditch to escape a BMW driver (Ahem, MUN) otherwise, everything was great. A very easy easy run, for obvious reasons but I feel so much better for it.

I am human again. :-)

A quick mention is appropriate for my footwear - I used my off roaders for this run, and I have always sworn by New Balance for this type of shoe. Currently using 874's and although I am still sulking that they did away with the rockstop feature on this model, they are a terrific pair of shoes, and come into their own on rubbish ground conditions such as today. (And they are the only running shoes made in the UK - in West Cumbria in fact, so there)

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Race Schedule

Distance Widget