Sunday 10 October 2010

Great Cumbrian Run 2010

Yesterday I spent the majority of the day with my feet up. Particularly my right one, as this is the one with the troublesome ankle. And I was so cross with myself for having twisted it within days of the half marathon.

So, this morning as I hopped out of bed I was immediately reminded of the injury and came downstairs feeling somewhat miserable. I  really wasn't sure if I would be able to run at all, let alone complete 13.1 miles. Made some strong coffee and some toast for breakfast and switched on the laptop to check the weather forecast for Carlisle. No change, they are still saying it will be warm and sunny. Ok.

It can be as warm and sunny as it likes, but if I can't run then what's the point in even going? Quick read of my emails.... oh.

I have a message from my dear friend Michele telling me that she has had to pull out of a half marathon that she had planned, and wishing me well. That was what I needed. Of course I can make it, I thought. I know that if the ankle is supported adequately I should not do any more damage, and it may well hurt but I can take painkillers if need be.

Off I go then. This event is one big mental block for me really. I took part last year and I cannot express how much I hated it. To be fair, the weather was appalling - rain is okay, but it was accompanied by strong wind that seemed to be in your face however many corners you turned and it was just - well, 'orrible. But I had promised it one more chance and this was to be it. I knew if I didn't manage it today I would never enter it again and I wanted to like it, if only because it is local. So the ankle gave me the perfect excuse to not take part, but thanks to Michele I did not play the 'injured' card and instead decided to tackle it.


I had switched off the auto-lap feature on the Garmin (can't remember why now) and so it has not recorded the mile splits which is a shame as that provides a good picture of how it actually went.

Having studied last years data, however, I knew that the first half is up and the second half is down - well, pretty much! Without that foreknowledge last year, I think I just went out too fast, so this year I decided that if I needed to take a breather it should be in the first half and not in the second! It was a simple enough strategy, and it kind of worked.

The ankle was really hurting for the first two or three miles and then I got used to it. It wasn't worsening so I just accepted it and trudged on as best I could. I walked bits here and there but, hey, I got round.

It's always great to see the villagers out cheering you on, really makes it a special day, but what a shame that the people of Carlisle aren't more interested. It's their half marathon after all. There were about 2000 runners, so it's not a tiny tinpot affair anymore.

Coming back in to Carlisle sooner than I expected felt nice, and realising there were less than 3 miles to go I felt pretty strong and was pleased, but the last mile seems to last for at least two - I think they need to remeasure it! Oh it's a killer, and the finish is on the track at the Sheep Mount Stadium and suddenly running on the nice squishy athletics track after 13 miles of pounding the tarmac really feels wierd. I remember last year thinking I was gonna fall over on it, and it was just the same today.

Stopped the Garmin as I crossed the mat, so I reckon the time is accurate.

Sure I could have done better. I could have run without wimping out on some of the hilly bits, and I could have gone faster but who cares. I have done away with this demon, and with a sprained ankle too! I'm pleased, and I will definitely enter it again. I think the main difference was simply being more aware of the course beforehand really.

So it's now several hours after the run, and the ankle feels fine - well, no worse than it was yesterday. My main concern is toes AGAIN and a bit of chafing in one or two places. Particularly unpleasant is my belly button! I think this is where I have the scar from the op I had in the summer. I have googled and I conclude that the best treatment for this is a well earned beer.

Cheers.

PS. Thanks Michele. You really did make the difference.

2 comments:

My Race Schedule

Distance Widget